Friday, September 20, 2013

Trieste Italy September 18-19, 2013

We didn't get started very early, but as always, the day began with a search for coffee.  
Today, we found our first cup of the day at Piazza Unita d'Italia.

It's always fun to find new places for the first time, but perhaps it's even better to share places you love with others. 

I don't want to sound surprised, but traveling with Frosty, Jill, and Jake was better than I had imagined.  As far as I know, there was not a single negative issue on the whole trip.

Our accommodations in Trieste were about as close to perfect as they could be.

Right off the main drag, only a few blocks from Piazza Unita, even closer to the Tour Bus #1 stop,

 and just around the corner from the Maximilian monument.

Situated on the fourth floor, there was the added bonus of a small roof-top terrazzo.  Just over the wall was a great view of the Trieste port.

We decided to begin our tour of the city on the Hop On/Hop Off bus.  We had a few minutes to wait so we toured the facilities on foot.  The featured attractions were

a Marine Police boat and

a couple of great signs.  It's always good to be reminded that both people and cars can and do fall into the ocean!

We did the entire tour on the bus and then  back to the Trieste Cathedral.

I love this dome!

And the story of San Giusto. The bad guys wanted him dead so badly that they tied him to a stone and threw him in the ocean after they had beaten him.  He is forced to continue carrying that stone in every painting and sculpture made of him.  It must get awfully heavy.

Outside, we explored the Roman ruins and speculated on how much of the old temple had been incorporated into the church.  We decided to skip the castle tour.

Walking down the hill, we found a great grocery store close to the old Roman theater.  We took our loot back to the apartment and made a antipasto feast.

The guys walked back to town with a two-fold mission:  
1,  To buy bus tickets to Rovinj for the following day
2.  To find beer.

They came back with no bus tickets, but they had definitely found the beer.  We would go downstairs and fix some pasta in a few minutes, but first we had to admire the moon.  

The next morning after breakfast, we all went to the bus station to check on tickets to Rovinj.  

On the way we stopped at St. Nicolas Orthodox Church for a quick peak.

And paid our respects to Sisi.

The tunnel to the bus station may not be a very elegant setting, but the music was just right.

Finally, we had bus tickets in hand.  The bus would leave at 4:15. With so many choices, it was hard to decide where to spend the next few hours, but the Castle Miramare won the contest. 

Jill stuck her foot in the ocean water.

There it is.  Just as lovely as I remembered.

Having already toured the castle, Stanley and I opted to enjoy the grounds while Frosty and his entourage went inside.

When they finished the tour, we walked in the gardens a bit, 

but there wasn't time for much ambling.  We had suitcases to retrieve and a bus to catch.  We were off to Rovinj!

Time constraints made this visit brief and very limited in scope, but Stanley and I had a great visit to Trieste in 2011.  All 
the pictures are on the blog at